Are you a U.S. citizen?

Are you a U.S. citizen?

This is question 14 on the paper Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA?) form.

This question can’t be left blank.

Select the option that indicates your citizenship status.

Select “Yes, I am a U.S. citizen (or U.S. national)” if you’re a U.S. citizen or U.S. national. A person is a United States citizen by birth or by naturalization. U.S. citizens include

  • persons (except for the children of foreign diplomatic staff) who are born in the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and in most cases, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Northern Marianna Islands; and
  • most persons born abroad to parents (or a parent) who are citizens.

All U.S. citizens are considered to be U.S. nationals, but not all nationals are citizens. Natives of American Samoa and Swain’s Island aren’t U.S. citizens, but are nationals.

Select “No, but I am an eligible noncitizen” if you aren’t a U.S. citizen or U.S. national and you’re one of the following:

  • A U.S. permanent resident with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551) or a conditional permanent resident with a Conditional Green Card (I-551C)
  • Other eligible noncitizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: “Refugee,” “Asylum Granted,” “Parolee” (I-94 confirms that you were paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired), T-Visa holder (T-1, T-2, T-3, etc.), or “Cuban-Haitian Entrant”
  • The holder of a valid certification or eligibility letter from the Department of Health and Human Services showing a designation of "Victim of human trafficking"
  • A resident of the Republic of Palau, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Federated States of Micronesia
  • A Canadian-born Native American under terms of the Jay Treaty

Select "Neither citizen nor eligible noncitizen" if you’re in the U.S. and have

  • been granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA);
  • a F1 or F2 student visa;
  • a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa;
  • a G series visa (pertaining to international organizations); or
  • other categories not included under U.S. citizen and eligible noncitizen

If you’re neither a citizen nor an eligible noncitizen, you aren’t eligible for federal student aid. If you have a Social Security number but aren’t a citizen or an eligible noncitizen, including if you’ve been granted DACA, you should still complete the FAFSA form because you might be eligible for state or college aid. You should check with your school’s financial aid office to see what kind of financial aid you might be eligible to receive.

Is this answer helpful?

Thank you for your response.
Total Characters: 500 Remaining: 500